Sunday, January 6, 2013

Opportunity

I was talking with a friend this summer about my frustration with a committee that I was on, particularly the lack of leadership. I mentioned that when I was done with the National Board process that I might consider applying for the position.

This position came open in the fall, and I didn't apply--I had just started working on my National Boards, I had a student teacher, and I felt like it would be way too much for me to tackle.

Well, the position came open again, and my friend and 2 others immediately emailed me about it and told me to apply. I kicked it around and thought about it, and decided to apply.

I hope that I didn't make a mistake in throwing my hat in the ring. While I've had leadership opportunities in the past, I've never held a leadership position for such a large group. I'm a little concerned about hitting roadblocks--I have some pretty specific ideas about what I would like to do and how I can get there, but I'm worried that I will be prevented from doing these things.

I'm also worried about coordinating performances with people I don't know, in a venue I've never been to, in a conference I've never participated in. I'm the queen of "I have to see it, then I can do it." I'm really apprehensive about taking charge of that part--I want to be successful, and I feel like I'll be flying blind the first time around.

I am excited about the possibility in using my talents to serve an amazing national organization--I hope that if I am selected, I can live up to my expectations and theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment