Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bedtime Routine

From the time our kids were newborns, we always had our routine. Bathtime, books, song, and then bed. Once Lori had hair long enough to comb (which was probably before 9 months!!), then that evolved into a short show so she would stay still. Showtime has remained. It gives them some time to unwind, and we snuggle, and some times that is when I check email, put clothes away, etc.

I love how these 2 little people also have developed their own individual routine. Since I'm home during the week by myself with them, I put them to bed the most. And on the weekend, Hunter still wants me to put him to bed. Lori is a daddy's girl, so she will ask him. She wants us to pick her up to put her in bed, even at 5 1/2. Lori must have her closet door closed when she goes to sleep, we pray, and then I must sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Then we chat for a few minutes--this is usually when I get crazy questions to answer because she becomes philosophical at this time of night. And the door to her room stays cracked open.

Hunter could care less about his closet being open or closed. He must climb in bed himself (when he was an infant, that child would VAULT into his crib because he was ready to sleep). Then I need to sing "Shine on Me." Then, even though he is tucked in already, he needs to stand up to give me hugs and kisses, "knocks" me over on my back, and says "let's sleep like this, Mommy." This lasts about 30 seconds, until he giggles and says, "I can't sleep like this!" Then we lay back down and do prayers. His door must be shut completely.

I know that some moms absolutely dread bedtime, but it is one my favorite times of day--I love having that quiet minute with my babies to snuggle and say I love you. My kids have always been great sleepers, so I never face that time with dread. Plus, once they are down I know I have some quiet until Scott gets home!

No comments:

Post a Comment