Friday, July 5, 2013

The summer of 4 and 6

With our late school year blurring right into a week of camp, I feel like our summer only really started this week. That being said, I am absolutely loving the ages of 4 and 6 this summer. Why?

1. We are not in diapers at night this year. I did not have to pack an extra bag filled with diapers and accessories for camp, and when we stay out late, we don't need to deal with bringing a diaper bag a long. 

2. They can swim on their own. And do for HOURS. This is the first summer that both kids actually enjoy swimming, and have the endurance to do so continously. They swam from 11-4 today with a lunch and snack break. Swimming used to mean they mostly played in the yard while I enjoyed the pool, but today I could sit on the deck for a bit while they swam independently (with flotation devices, but I don't have to carry anyone or hold their hand). 

3. We are losing naps. Part of this actually stinks, because I love the quiet time or time to get things done, but is really nice not to be restricted by the all-powerful nap. Plus, bedtime can be earlier, which isn't all that bad.

4. They are occupying each other really well (mostly). I have to say, I know I'm really lucky, but my kids really play well together. Even though I have one boy and one girl, they enjoy playing together. Lori happily plays with trucks and trains, and Hunter likes playing house or princess with Lori. Scott and I can get quite a bit done before the minions become demanding.

5. They are great helpers, and actually do a good job of helping. My weekly dusting took no time at all--Lori dusted her room, Hunter's room, and the baseboards while I did the family room and our bedroom. Both kids helped take peas out of the pod with me to prep dinner, and they can get their own drinks and snacks without me doing much. It saves me so much time, and they feel capable and independent.

6. We are developing a bigger network of friends with both kids in school. It is so great to be able to knock on our neighbor's door and ask them over, or call a friend from around the corner for an impromptu playdate (read: time to talk to another adult while our kids occupy each other). 

I know that I will have plenty of things to add to this list as the summer goes on, and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment