Monday, July 1, 2013

Taking a chance



My friend from camp, Cait D., has a great blog about doing things she has never done before. It is so fun to watch her try different things, especially because they are often very comical, like this particular video where I make a little cameo. Watching her ability and willingness to try new things has really been inspiring. I've also been inspired by  my colleague and fellow blogger Marcy at (Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish, who is writing about her journey trying new things as well.

I have been DYING to be on stage in a production again. My friend Sloane did a show this past fall/winter, and I was inspired to take a chance! After music directing for 14 years, it is time. Plus it is on my bucket list! I've been looking at different things, but the time commitment with a husband that works nights and my kids just didn't work. I opened up the "Cromwell Chronicle" one afternoon (our local yocal paper), and saw that the local Gilbert and Sillivan society was casting a show that would rehearse Sunday nights (when Scott is home), and only some Tuesdays (totally doable). The audition was in 3 days, but the opportunity was dropped in my lap and I had to take it. I pulled a song from my senior recital (which was in 1999!!) and threw it together for my audition.




As I sat in an audition for the show for the first time since I was in college MANY years ago, I was not freaked out or nervous, and didn't really care about what part I got. I just wanted to be in a show again. I had nothing to lose--just a great opportunity to gain, regardless of what part I got. I started thinking a lot about why my attitude was so different now than it would have been back in high school or college, and read a post where Marcy talked about being more confident as she has grown into herself. That is it--being in my late 30s is why my attitude is different. I am the understudy to someone who is very young (but an amazing singer). As the director introduced us to each other, she was extremely snarky and irritated that she had an understudy--"I'm not getting sick, so no worries." I'm sure that would have been me at her age. 


Life is so much more complicated now than it was in my twenties, but the beauty of being this age is realizing what once was "life-ending" is now not a big deal. I'm so glad that I took this chance and am excited about the people I will meet and learning a great role, even if I never get to perform it. 

Shameless plug--come see my show. Hopefully, I'll be singing away in the chorus. 


Tickets available here!









1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Karla! That is so awesome. I know you will be fantastic too. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete