Friday, July 19, 2013

CSA update!

I'm now 1/2 way through the season of my CSA, and I love it! I still kept my garden, because I wasn't really sure what I would be getting and if I would like it, and I think that next year I will definitely plant way less veggies, and add some more things that won't take up freezer space, like garlic. I would also like to plant more blueberry bushes and strawberry plants, because I can never have too much of either of those!

I have been freezing things like crazy--Scott and I chopped up and blanched kale for caldo verde (kale soup) and zucchini in the past week. I also shredded a TON of zucchini to use in the fall for baking. Last week, I made these yummy sugar snap peas:

Sugar Snap Peas Allrecipes.com

You know a recipe is great when your 6 year old gobbles it up!

I also made this over the weekend using zucchini, tomatoes, and corn:

Mexican Zucchini with Corn

AH-MA-ZING!!!!! So yummy as as side dish, a topping for fajita steaks, and I used it as
filling for veggie tacos with some guacamole on top. Delish.

I also made a kale pizza that was basically my own recipe--spread a little oil on the pizza dough (store-bought), spread my homemade garlic scape/basil pesto on it, threw kale and some tomato on top, and then sprinkled parm and mozzarella cheese on top. So tasty--my 4 year old kale lover devoured it.

We have been getting lots of scallions from the farm, so I have just been chopping them up finely, and putting them right in the freezer. I won't need to buy frozen onions all fall with the amount we've been getting. I used them in rice the other day, and I like the mild flavor of them. I would bet that they would be great in fresh salsa when I get some more tomatoes!

I just looked at the newsletter for what we are getting next week, and excited for our 2nd week of yummy, just picked corn, our first batch of cukes and carrots, and peaches and nectarines, among other things. I'm so happy with the variety of things that they have been offering.




No comments:

Post a Comment