Monday, February 11, 2013

Cooked once, served several ways.

I didn't want to stock up my freezer just in case we lost power, so I decided that on Friday I'd use some ground beef that I had in the freezer. My kids LOVE taco meat, and we had leftover guacamole,so we grabbed some taco seasoning at the store, and I tried to think about what I wanted to make.

We have some kind of burritos at least once every other week--it is one of those meals that I know both kids will eat, I will eat, and I can make it healthy with lots of veggie toppings. Plus, yum. But I wasn't in the mood for burritos.... what to make??

I cooked up the meat, and I decided that I was in the mood for nachos--thus nacho bar for dinner was born! Big hit with EVERYONE  in the family, even my picky boy.

We had leftover meat, and I decided tonight that we'd eat the leftovers--kids had burritos (only 2 burrito shells left). The girl eats hers with stuff IN the burrito, and picky boy wants everything on his plate and eats the burrito wrapper on the side. Hubby was home for dinner (VERY rare occurrence during the week), and he and I had taco salad. We got to finish up the guacamole, ate lots of healthy veggies, and used up my leftover meat.

I also love using leftover meat to make quesadillas-it makes me happy to maximize every ingredient so that we aren't throwing out food at the end of the week. Another popular favorite in our house is taco casserole--basically, you layer the cooked taco meat with black beans, veggies, and cheese on top.
 And I can't forget about the taco skillet with rice.



Maybe I can find some more ways to serve up taco meat!!


No comments:

Post a Comment