Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What I'm doing to reach out

It think everyone is trying to figure out ways they can reach out. I was really excited to see that they are doing a snowflake drive to decorate the new school. I emailed colleagues and my kids' teachers and they are all going to be doing this. After the holidays, my husband and I are going into L's class to help them make the snowflakes. What I love about it is that the little ones can do this, and it is innocuous. We don't have to talk about the tragedy, just that kids need some decorations in their new school.

If you want to get involved with this, here is the information:

Snowflakes for Sandy Hook
Please help the students of Sandy Hook have a winter wonderland at their new school! Get Creative!! No two snowflakes are alike. Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514, by January 12, 2013.

I also asked my brother that in lieu of doing our big dinner out as a Christmas gift, if we did something low key and then sent our dinner money to the fund for the families. 


I don't if the school staff needs help, but I also emailed the superintendent of Newtown to see if any of the teachers wanted help over vacation getting their classrooms back in order. I hope that I can help in some small, tangible way. 

I also was reading that the outpouring is so huge at the start, but that the families,survivors, and first responders will need help and support after all of the initial surge. I'm trying to think of ways to help once the  media push dies down. I'm thinking Valentine's Day, or perhaps Mother's/Father's Day--imagine how tough those days will be. I'm going to try and save these addresses of where to send things for the future and remind myself to do them. 


Cards for Newtown
8 Huntington Street
PMB 600
Shelton, CT 06484

sandyhookchristmas@gmail.com 

Sandy Hook Fire Department, Riverside Road, Sandy Hook, Ct 06482
Newtown Police Department, South Main Street, Newtown, Ct 06470

There were state troopers involved as well--wondering which barracks would have been involved.  

Any other ideas??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment