Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gifts from my kids

I have always tried to instill in my kids the joy of giving at this time of year. Since they were little, they helped bake holiday treats for friends and neighbors, made crafts and ornaments to give to people, and helped pick out gifts for each other and for their dad.

This year, I decided to take it one step further. My friend told me last year that she brought her kids to the dollar store and had them pick anything they wanted for family members. The things they picked were quite funny, and they put their interesting thoughts on what people needed. I decided to do the same this year.

One Saturday morning, I took both of the kids to the dollar store in my town, and gave them the list of who they needed to buy for. I was actually pretty impressed at what they picked.

  • A car for my youngest niece because she always wants Hunter's when they are playing
  • A rubic's cube for my brother because "Marky likes games." 
  • A candle for someone
  • Little Christmas knick knacks that look like pieces to a cheapo village set--because "they needed more Christmas decorations at their houses"
  • A GIANT pen for their grandfather, because "Grandpa needs pens."
  • Christmas pencils for Scott because "Daddy needs pencils when he is working in the garage.
I love that they actually put thought into what they bought. They even helped wrap the presents and were so proud when they put them under the tree. I hope that people appreciate their tacky, dollar store gifts (we got everyone real gifts, too) because they came from the hearts of my kids.

My favorite thing about my kids and gifts is that 3 year olds can NOT keep secrets. In the car yesterday, my son already told me what he got at the store with my husband for my Christmas present. I know this irritated my husband to no end, but my son was really excited that the picked something out, so I'm not going to squelch it.

And I don't like surprises anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment