Monday, March 4, 2013

Carving out time for fun

The  month of March is my least favorite month of the year. CMTs (our state test) at school make for really short classes and hectic days, I have at least 3 events I have to return to school at night for (all crammed into 6 days), most of my Saturday mornings are spent at musical rehearsals, and with our musical coming up the first week of April, I will be spending many afternoons late at school.

Trying to carve out time with my kids gets a little crazy this month, but I want to do extra fun stuff with them because they are missing out on their typical time with me. Here are some things we've done already, and other things I am planning on.

-Maple syrup demo: On Saturday, I raced back home after my rehearsal, and after getting some things done and before dinner plans with friends, we went to Lamothe's  Sugar House in Burlington, CT. What a great little place! Their store is open year around, and they sell their syrup at Highland Park Market and some other IGA stores. They did an interesting demo where they showed us how they used to tap trees, and showed how the different machines worked. They also told us that now instead of buckets on the trees, they run lines from the trees down to their collection tanks. While he was chatting about this information, he gave the kids maple candy lollipops to eat. We also got to test different colors of syrups (Scott and I liked the dark the best), and they had samples of cider, maple coffee, and their homemade jam out.

-Bubble bath--not just a regular bubble bath, but I gave the kiddos little bubbles from my cousin Gabriella's party and let them blow bubbles in the tub. Simple, yes, but I won major cool mom points for letting the kids blow bubbles in the house.

-St. Patty's Day parade--for once I don't have rehearsal the day of the parade, so I'm contemplating bringing the kids to the Hartford parade... waiting to see how cold it is.

-Bowling--Hunter turns 4 at the end of the month, so we thought that it might be fun (and relatively inexpensive) to do a bowling outing for his birthday treat. Neither of the kids have been yet, so it should be fun, and I haven't been bowling since Lori was a baby, so I'm looking forward to it. Trying to find a time when they have a special to save some cash.

-St. Patty's Day fun--it falls on a Sunday this year, so it will make it easier to do things like turn the toilet green (just pouring mouthwash in it) and cook green eggs and ham and see how many things I can make look like shamrocks or turn green.

Any other simple ideas to carve out fun during a busy time??

-

No comments:

Post a Comment