Sunday, October 6, 2013

Making myself "useless"

I wrote a grant last year with a colleague to purchase several ipads for my students to use--we had 2 already, and saw great potential for how students could use them in small group settings. I was very excited to win the grant, and have been working on implementing them in different ways.

What I found so far is that many of the "mundane" parts of my lessons could be done in a much more engaging way using the iPads. For example, when presenting and practicing rhythms, I often use flashcards with the entire class. As you can imagine, it is necessary, but gets boring. Here is what I tried:

  • Downloaded the Bitsboard app and then created flashcards by taking pictures of them, and creating "sets" of the various rhythms I use
  • When you import the picture, you also have the option to record audio to go with it. I chanted the rhythm for each pattern, and then adjusted the settings so that students can only hear the audio when they tap the screen, not when they swipe the card
  • Put the kids into groups of 4 using the Teamshake app--you can assign kids "levels" and many other factors, so that when you "shake" to create the groups, it mixes them up so that multiple ability levels are in each group. Amazingly, they never complain about the groups because the iPad picks them, not me!
  • I structured this in a few different ways. Sometimes I split the class in 1/2--1/2 worked on Bitsboard while 1/2 were with me working on something else and then they switched. I liked having a small group to work with--I never get that opportunity in my general music classes. The kids working the iPads were really engaged. Other times, I have them all practicing on the iPads.
What I have noticed so far is that when I have them working like this, I am "useless." I structure the task, but because of the audio embedded in the app, the questions are automatically answered for them. They can also choose whether to try and clap/say the pattern first before they listen, or if they are stuck, they listen first. It has really empowered them, and they are definitely way more engaged. Because they are in cooperative groups, they assess each other and correct each other when needed. 

It was really liberating for me not to be "on" the entire time I was teaching. The only thing I haven't figured out is that by having them work this way, it makes it more difficult for me to informally assess how they are doing. I did notice that student performances of their rhythm compositions were better than usual. That could just be the group of kids, so I'm anxious to see how it works for my other 2 batches of students this year. 

2 comments:

  1. What a cool lesson! Congratulations on the grant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guide on the side instead of sage on the stage. Very cool

    ReplyDelete